Sunday, September 4, 2016

2015 in Germany -- Preliminary Evaluation of the Vintage


At this point, I feel that I have tasted a enough wines that I can make a preliminary assessment of the 2015 vintage in Germany. This assessment is based on two full and two half days of tasting Grosses Gewächs (GG) wines, generally the top dry wines of many of the producers in the prestigious VDP wine organization (a group that includes many, but not all, of Germany’s top wine estates). Additionally, I supplemented those tastings by visits to producers in the Pfalz, Rheinhessen, and Nahe (Mosel, Ruwer, and Saar visits come in the next two days). On those visits, I retasted each producer’s GGs,  also tasted the producer’s other dry and non-dry wines, and discussed the wines with the producer. (Continue reading here.)