Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2014 Burgundies: Report from the Vineyards -- Day 16


Tuesday was what I call a three-Gruenchers day. Not all that long ago, the Chambolle-Musigny premier cru Les Gruenchers was seen only under the Domaine Dujac label. But in recent years several other producers that have become more prominent also feature the vineyard: Domaine Digoia-Royer, Domaine Dujac, and Domaine Fourrier, where I tasted on Tuesday: Domaine Ghislaine Barthod, where I tasted the Gruenchers last Friday; David Duband, where I did not taste the wine when I was there last week; and Domaine Thibault Liger-Belair and Domaine Armelle et Bernard Rion, where I do not visit. In total, then, I know of seven producers now bottling Gruenchers. Generally, Gruenchers provides a Chambolle of dark fruit and with plenty of suppleness and finesse, but each of the four estates where I taste it has its own style and so there is quite a bit of diversity from this small vineyard. (Continue reading here.)