Friday, May 1, 2015

Ludwig KNOLL -- Weingut AM STEIN -- 2013 Stetten Grosse Gewächse (Franken)

Ludwig Knoll is one of the most dynamic producers I’ve had the pleasure to meet. As far as I know, he was the first producer in Franconia to adopt biodynamic methods, and every wine I’ve tasted from him has been marvelous.

Showing a weakness in the VDP’s GG program, Knoll possesses two entirely separate Stein vineyards – one, the more famous, being in Würzburg, where his winery and outstanding restaurant are located (literally in the Stein vineyard), and the other being in Stetten. Both have the limestone soils that make Silvaner and Riesling so special in this part of Franconia. Alas, I did not get to taste the GG’s from the Würzburg vineyards for 2013, nor the non-GG offerings, which in my experience are also outstanding. (Continue reading here.)